Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Valiant Fight Against an Imaginary Foe

Marie Coyle, the Feminist Outreach Coordinator of "One in Four: American Women United Against Eating Disorders," takes a stand:
I am, and will continue to be, aggressively and unapologetically anti-eating disorders. I am definitely trying to attack this problem. I want to be supportive of those who are suffering, but I refuse to say that I am anything but opposed to their sickness. I am not in any way blaming people who have eating disorders; this is absurd. When I say I am furious about eating disorders, I mean that I am furious at their existence, not at the people whose lives are being ruined by them. I have nothing but sympathy and compassion for the hundreds of people on this campus that are suffering. I want to do everything I can to improve their lives. I really cannot stress enough the distinction between being against eating disorders and being against people who have eating disorders.
She never gets around to mentioning who the people are who are supposedly "pro" eating disorder or whether they really did ask her to apologize. In this way, she is similar to "anti-war" activists who imagine that their opponents are "pro-war."

Via BotW.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics