Monday, December 22, 2008

The Liberal Herd

Jay Nordlinger describes (H/T Powerline) going to Carnegie Hall for a Christmas concert where he expected a `respite from politics':
Shortly into the concert, the conductor turns to the audience and speaks about “the holidays.” This year, he says, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa are overlapping with Christmas. (According to what I can find, Kwanzaa begins on December 26, but never mind.) Then we have New Year’s Day. And “on January 20, there will be a new beginning for our country.” The crowd, of course, erupts into cheers. Then he says, “I see I’m not the only one who’s ready.”

They can’t help themselves, can they? They can’t help preening, saying, in effect, “See how virtuous I am? My politics are correct. I am a fully paid-up member of the herd — nothing independent-minded about me.” I have seen this in Carnegie Hall before (as elsewhere): The conductor, or someone else, makes a partisan political statement, releasing a little stink bomb that smells up the entire evening, no matter how good the music is.
They have to say `how virtuous they are,' this blog asserts, because they suffer from depression, from guilt complexes, and, at some level, they know they act like adolescents.

No comments:

Clicky Web Analytics